KMM Designed PSV to be Built by Bender
Bender Shipbuilding and Repair Co., Inc. won a contract from Naviera Tamaulipas, S.A. of Tampico, Mexico, to build a 202-ft. (61.5-m) Platform Supply Vessel (PSV) designed by Kvaerner Masa Marine (KMM), part of the Aker Kvaerner Group. The design is based on the K220, part of KMM's new K-series of Platform Supply Vessel designs.
The 202 x 54 x 19-ft. (61.5 x 16.4 x 5.7-m) vessel was designed to incorporate the specific needs of the owner for operation in the Mexican offshore market.
It includes new technologies and embodies market trends, with its oblong liquid mud tanks outboard of the center line bulk mud tanks, and 600-hp A/C electric motor driven CPP tunnel thrusters, two in the bow and one in the stern. The vessel will be certified to ABS DPS1 and will be equipped with a 5,300 gpm fire monitor driven by an A/C electric motor. Propulsion consists of two Caterpillar 3516B DITA diesel engines driving fixed pitch open propellers.
The vessel design is based on the KMM standard K200 series K220 that KMM developed specifically for the Gulf of Mexico market. The K200 series consists of PSV designs where the second two digits represent the design deadweight in hundreds of tons.
The design has been tailored to the facilities and construction philosophy at the Bender shipyard. "We welcome this opportunity to team with KMM and with Capt. Sanchez and his team at Naviera Tamaulipas to construct a vessel which will be the best equipped and mission capable PSV in the Mexican Flag Fleet," said Tom Bender, president, Bender Shipbuilding.
Circle 40 on Reader Service Card www.maritimereporterinfo.com
Other stories from December 2002 issue
- As a Ship Sinks, So Does Some Credibility page: 8
- KMM Designed PSV to be Built by Bender page: 10
- Wartsila, MHI to Develop New Diesel Engine by 2004 page: 11
- Maritime Industry Gets A New Act page: 13
- Meet the ULFPS page: 19
- The NewiIMdlTreaty to Ban TBT page: 21
- New Antifouling Tech Spurs Uncertainty page: 22
- Bringing Magic to the Cruise Experience — the Role of Technology page: 24
- Great Ships of the Year page: 26
- C-MAP Plots Its Course On Both Sides page: 34