SPD Awarded Contract To Supply Electric Plant Control Panel For Seawolf
SPD Technologies, Philadelphia, Pa., has been awarded the contract to produce a special-design electric plant control panel for installation in the first of the U.S. Navy's new Seawolf Class nuclear submarines.
The contract was awarded by the Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics, prime contractor for the Seawolf submarine construction program.
The SPD-designed submarine control panel includes a combination of meters, switches, relays and other equipment to receive and display data to control the operating status of the submarine's electrical generation and distribution system.
Scheduled for delivery in June 1991, the control panel will be produced at SPD's switchgear manufacturing plant in Montgomeryville, Pa.
SPD president George M. Gordon said the Seawolf contract was a landmark in that it is the company's first for submarine control panel development, although similar systems have been developed by SPD engineers for surface combatants.
Mr. Gordon noted that SPD's expansion in electric plant control panel design and production is an outgrowth of its 1988 acquisition of the Brown Boveri's naval switchgear division.
He said the company planned additional expansion in fabrication and assembly of advanced electrical distribution equipment, control panels and specialty shipboard consoles for military applications.
SPD Technologies is one of the largest producers of military circuit breakers and a leader in advanced electrical protection equipment designed for harsh operating environments.
Headquartered in Philadelphia, the company has service, repair and overhaul facilities across the U.S.
and serves military markets throughout the world.
For free literature detailing the products and services of SPD, Circle 71 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from May 1989 issue
- NAPVO To Review Subchapter T Proposal page: 6
- Trinity Industries To Buy Bethlehem Steel's 74-Acre Beaumont, Texas, Facility page: 7
- Caterpillar Announces New Trademarks page: 7
- Comsat Maritime Services Publishes Cruise Ship SatCom Brochure page: 8
- CE&MCO Receives Order For Three Portainers From Maersk Container page: 8
- N.Y. Shipyard Drydocks 925-Passenger Cruise Ship page: 10
- MAN B&W Diesel To Takeover Sulzer's Diesel Activities page: 10
- BoatUFE Supplies Deck Caulking Compound For Cruise Ship Fantasy page: 11
- Port Canaveral Offers Homeport Development Package To 'Phoenix' Cruise Ship page: 11
- CRUISE + FERRY '89 page: 12
- THE EXPANDING CRUISE INDUSTRY—STILL MORE ROOM FOR GROWTH page: 14
- Construction Of First Of Two 70,000-GRT Cruise Ships Under Way At Fincantieri-Monfalcone Yard page: 17
- 70,000-GRT Superliner Takes Shape At Wartsila Marine's Turku Yard page: 18
- Nichols Bros/ Deutz MWM-Powered Ocean Catamaran Goes Into Service Between Nantucket And Boston page: 20
- Gladding-Hearn Building Another High-Speed INCAT Ferry page: 20
- Selecting Machinery For High-Powered Cruise Ships page: 21
- Fast SES Ferry Used In New Commuter Service Between L.I. And Manhattan page: 22
- Literature On Onboard Potable Water Disinfection Available From Everpure page: 22
- Service Marine Launches Modern 500-Passenger Dinner Boat For Cruise International page: 24
- Mackay, C.PIath Announce U.S. Sales, Service Pact page: 24
- Avondale Industries Wins Floating Prison Contract page: 25
- Seaco/Elliot Offers Improved Inflatable Rafts page: 25
- Liebherr Wins Large Gantry Crane Order From Japanese Shipbuilder page: 28
- LQMoffitt Merges With BFGoodrich page: 28
- ZF Of NA Introduces Extended Service Plan For Marine Transmissions page: 29
- Directions In Design Completes Interior Work On Two Sister Vessels page: 29
- New WD 234 Is Notable Addition To Line Of Deutz MWM High Performance Boat Propulsion Units page: 30
- COMSAT'S 'Cruise Calling' Makes Telephone Calls To And From Ship Easy, Clear, Direct And Private page: 30
- Alden's New Marine Fax Recorder Receives Weather Charts As Well As Navtex And Radioteleprinter Data page: 30
- AN UPDATE ON U.S. NAVY SHIP AND EQUIPMENT PROCUREMENT page: 33
- Avondale Awarded $319-Million Contract To Build Three Oilers page: 37
- Ingalls Shipbuilding Readies USS Wasp (LHD-1) For Delivery page: 38
- U.S. Navy Selects Bailey Network 90 System For New YTT Vessel page: 39
- Albert L. Bossier Jr. Named 1989 Nimitz Award Winner page: 40
- Sperry Marine, Philips To Cooperate On German ESM/ADF System page: 43
- Datrex Introduces Hydrostatic Release For Inflatable Life Rafts page: 43
- Poppe To Head Bailey Refrigeration's Miami Branch Operation page: 44
- SPD Awarded Contract To Supply Electric Plant Control Panel For Seawolf page: 44
- Robert A. Spoerl Named Chief Executive Officer At Coast Engineering page: 44
- Advanced Joiner Systems From Rockment Featured On New Cruise Vessels page: 45
- Mike Mitchell Appointed Raytheon Marine Company Marketing Manager page: 46
- New Free Brochure From Graboski Associates Details Graphics Work page: 46
- Coritz Appointed New VP And GM At IMO Pump Division page: 47
- J.M. Martinac To Build 2,560-Bhp Z-Drive Ship-Berthing Tug page: 47
- First Allison Gas Turbine Genset Shipped For DDG-51 Installation page: 48
- Universal Marine Medical Offers Reliable Source For Medical Supplies page: 49
- Mid-Coast Delivers Cummins-Powered Crabber-Tender page: 50
- Trinity Marine Group Delivers Two Crew Boats To Saudi Arabia page: 51
- Peters Named Managing Director, Raytheon Marine European Operations page: 52
- Jeffboat To Construct Three River-Tank Barges In $3-Million Contract page: 52
- Conrad Industries Delivers Second Set Of Twin Barges page: 53
- Unitor Group Reports 1988 Was Best Year Ever page: 53
- NOR-SHIPPING '89 Exhibition And Conference page: 54
- MWH Offers High-Quality, Inlet And Exhaust Valves For Marine Engine Applications page: 56
- Royal Schelde Launches Second Frigate In New Series page: 57
- Goldstar Precision Introduces New Generation Of Mono Radar page: 60
- Elomatic Group, Design Specialists, Offer Brochure On Engineering Services page: 60
- TFC Offers Major Price Reductions On New Line Of Waste Compactors page: 61
- Precision Control Offers Detailed Brochure On New Vacuum Flush Toilet page: 61
- Thomson-Gordon Appoints Hampton Sales Distributor page: 67
- MarineSafety Demonstrates Prince William Sound Simulation page: 68
- Furuno's New Improved Loran Provides Even Higher Position-Fixing Accuracies And Display Stability page: 68
- Viking's Commercial-Grade Six-Person Life Raft Exemplifies Modern Lifesaving Technology page: 71
- New Worldwide Distributor Network For EMD Power Products page: 72
- New SEA 156 VHF Marine Radio Keeps Complex Functions Simple page: 72