Racal/Marconi Simulator Built For Finnish Technical Research Center
—Free Literature Available A new, highly sophisticated ship simulator has been developed and built jointly by two British companies for the Finnish Technical Research Center near Helsinki where it will be used for research into ship behaviour and to train deck officers to maneuver vessels in busy island waters.
According to the two developers of the simulator, Racal-SMS Ltd., Chessington, Surrey, England, and Marconi Command and Control Systems Ltd., New Parks, Leicester, England, the unit can provide realistic exercises in anti-collision navigation, pilotage, shiphandling and emergency procedures.
The principal part of the Racal/ Marconi simulator consists of a fully equipped ship's bridge, complete with advanced navigational aids and autopilot, together with an instructor's console. Seven color television projectors are used to create images onto the back of a screen which affords a 240-degree field of vision, giving a "wrap-around" forward panoramic view from the bridge.
The view changes as the trainee alters speed and course.
Scenes generated by the Marconi Tepigen visual system (via computer) are based on local topography and also show such things as other ships passing, fog descending and lifting, and wave conditions up to a Force 8 gale.
Various "own ship" types, among them tankers, containerships, and a ferry are available for the simulator.
Accurate representation of their different maneuvering characteristics is obtained from realistic mathematical models provided by Britain's National Maritime Institute.
For further information and free literature on the Racal/Marconi simulator and its developers, Circle 93 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from October 15, 1985 issue
- Tenneco Announces A Significant Oil Discovery Off Norway page: 4
- Tarbutton Elected VP For American Maritime page: 5
- CSSRA Annual Conference Set For February 10-11 In Montreal, Canada page: 6
- $18.3-Million Contract To Dillingham Ship Repair For T-ACS Conversion page: 6
- MarAd Selects 15 Port Locations To Berth 37 RRF Cargo Vessels page: 6
- Pielstick Diesels Will Power Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship page: 7
- Marinette Marine Complete Expansion Of Dockwall Along Menominee River page: 8
- Avondale Offers Free Color Brochure On Full Propeller Line page: 8
- New Corporation Formed, Warren Pumps Inc. page: 8
- Free 14-Page Booklet On Gas Turbine Controls Offered By Woodward page: 8
- Seebeckwerft To Build Cellular Containership For China Ocean Shipping page: 9
- Contracts Awarded To Bardex Hydranautics page: 9
- MarAd Awards Research Contract For $343,819 To Detroit Diesel page: 9
- Hamburg Yard Jumboizes First Of Four Vessels For Hapag-Lloyd page: 9
- NKF Engineering Expands With Acquisition Of Two Additional Firms page: 10
- Sparrows Point Yard Delivers Third Maersk MPS Conversion page: 10
- New Terry Turbine Offers Low-Cost Maintenance page: 10
- Moss Point Reports On Recent Progress And Backlog At Yard page: 11
- Johnson & Towers Named Distributor For John Deere Diesels page: 11
- EUROPORT '85 page: 14
- Hyundai Launches First Of Three Big Bulk Carriers For Bocimar page: 20
- Baldt Announces Corporate Reorganization page: 20
- Gems Roli Provides Continuous Level Indication For Deep Tanks page: 21
- Stork Services Ncimes Curacao Drydock Inc. U.S. Agent page: 22
- $46-Million Rehabilitation Of Port Of Portland's Terminal 2 Now Underway page: 22
- $84.2 Million In Contracts Signed For Construction Of 2 Big Bulkers In Brazil page: 22
- John Gaughan To Be Nominated To Head Maritime Administration page: 22
- Pennsylvania Shipbuilding Dedicates Fast Supply Ship U.S.N.S. Denebola page: 26
- Western Cruise Lines Names David Sparkuhl Operations Manager page: 27
- Midland Affiliated Names P.E. Hubbard Senior VP, Sales And Marketing page: 27
- Trimble Introduces The New LorarrGPS 10X page: 28
- Port of London Awards Norcontrol Contract For Radar Display System page: 28
- Raytheon Introduces Digital Depth, Speed And Temperature Indicator page: 29
- Siemens Introduces New Shipboard Control System page: 29
- Amoco Contracts With MMS For Planned Maintenance System page: 29
- Racal/Marconi Simulator Built For Finnish Technical Research Center page: 30
- Multipurpose Container/Bulk Ships Delivered By Samsung Shipyard page: 30
- Siemens Offers Brochure On Automatic Remote Control System DIFA 41 page: 30
- GASTECH 85 page: 32
- Porter Named VP, Raymond Fabricators page: 39
- Matson Navigation Orders 3 Mitsui/Paceco Container Cranes For $10 Million page: 39
- Company Executives Switch Positions page: 39
- Koch-Ellis Pioneers Aerobic Digesting Systems In Wash Water Treatment page: 40
- Colombo Dockyard Offers Brochure On Facilities And Capabilities page: 40
- Literature Offered On Cartridge-Mounted Seal For Viking Pumps page: 40
- 3-Component Design Now Lets Users Build Own Liquid Flow Monitoring And Control System page: 45