Bulk Carrier Century Hope Delivered By Mitsui To Hong Kong Owner
The 68,082-dwt bulk carrier Century Hope was delivered recently at the Tamano Works of Mitsui Engineering & Shipbuilding Company, Ltd. to the Kowin Shipping Company of Hong Kong.
The bulker has an overall length of 730.68 feet, molded beam of 105.64 feet, depth of 60 feet, and full-load draft of 43.5 feet. Main propulsion is by a Mitsui/'B&W 6L67GBE slow-speed diesel engine with a maximum continuous rating of 13,000 bhp at 123 rpm. On sea trials the ship achieved a maximum speed of 16.32 knots.
Cargo space is divided into seven holds with a total capacity (grainI of 80,120 cubic meters. No. 4 hold can also be used as a ballast tank to secure sufficient draft in stormy conditions. Holds Nos. 2 and 6 can also be used as ballast tanks in port for draft adjustments.
Hull weight reduction has been achieved with 32-kilogram (70.5- pound), high-tensile steel for the decks, bottom shell plating, double bottom, and upper and lower hopper sections, with the exception of some areas of the side shell plating.
The bottom and waterline area of the hull are coated with self-polishing, long-life antifouling paint to reduce the frictional resistance and thereby conserve fuel.
The propulsion plant features, besides the fuel-efficient Mitsui B&W main engine, a Mitsui Integrated Duct Propeller. Remote maneuvering, control, and monitoring systems qualify for the UMS (unmanned engine room) notation of Lloyds Register of Shipping.
Navigation equipment includes a Loran C receiver and Decca Navigator.
Other stories from May 15, 1984 issue
- Ritter Joins NMS Shipyard Division As Sales Rep page: 5
- Free Color Brochure Introduces New Stal Refrigeration Plant page: 5
- Valmet Forms Subsidiary In Houston To Serve U.S. Offshore Industry page: 6
- SNAME Philadelphia Section Annual Dinner-Dance Scheduled For June 16 page: 6
- Stewart & Stevenson Inc. Appointed Distributors For M W M Series 500 Engines page: 7
- Kone To Build Multipurpose Double-Boom Crane For Port Of Jacksonville page: 7
- Nickum & Spaulding Announces New Executive Appointments — Philip Spaulding Named Chairman page: 7
- Color Brochure Offered Free From HITCO page: 8
- Newport News Lays Keel For USS Newport News (SSN 750) page: 8
- Marco Seattle Signs Contract To Build All-Steel Workboat page: 10
- Double Naming Ceremony Held At Far East Levingston Shipbuilding page: 10
- Volvo Penta Duoprop Now Available For Workboat Applications page: 11
- Diversified Capabilities Offered By Port Allen Marine Service page: 12
- SNAME San Diego Section Hears Paper On Sheathing Hulls With Copper-Nickel page: 14
- Marine Safe Electronics Offers Free Literature On 'Fail-Safe' Line page: 14
- Prock Appointed Vice President/General Manager For Foss Alaska Line page: 15
- Moss Point Marine Launches First Of Two Utility Boats For Argosy page: 15
- 1984 RTCM ASSEMBLY page: 16
- OTC Begins Study Of HP's Response To Wave Forces page: 19
- Hagglunds Cranes Ordered For Rapid Deployment Force MSC Vessels page: 20
- Navigation & Communications Equipment page: 22
- PIMA Hosts New York Luncheon On Behalf Of British Shipbuilders page: 43
- Peter Goetz Appointed General Manager Of Electro Dynamic page: 43
- First Marathon Super 300 Jackup Now Drilling In Gulf Of Mexico page: 44
- Anixter Bros. Publishes New Buyers Guide Of Products For Business Communications page: 44
- U.S.-Based Repair Service Introduced by Cityvarvet AB page: 45
- Sternwheeler Landing Queen Delivered By Walker Marine Yard page: 46
- J.L. Konopasek Announces New Organization page: 46
- New Non-Asbestos High- Temperature Valve Packing Developed By John Crane — Literature Available page: 49
- Krupp Atlas Elektronic Introduces Four New Advanced Radars page: 49
- Mueller Steam Specialty Introduces Duplex Strainers — Literature Available page: 49
- Bulk Carrier Century Hope Delivered By Mitsui To Hong Kong Owner page: 50
- Saab Control Systems Ordered For Wilhelmsen Product Carriers page: 50
- High-Speed Catamaran Crewboat Delivered By Fjellstrand page: 55