Carrington Delivers The Blackburn Cove
The Blackburn Cove was delivered recently to J. Tenwick & Co.
Pty., Ltd., of Balmain East, NSW, by Carrington Slipways' Tomago, Newcastle, NSW (Australia) yard.
The tug is fitted with a Niigata developed Z-Peller propulsion system.
The Niigata Z-Peller drive consists basically of an engine, a drive shaft and a Z-type propeller.
The Z-Peller offers powerful thrust high maneuverability and quick response to the helm.
The Z-Peller propulsion units on the Blackburn Cove consist of two Niigata model ZP-3B, Z-Peller right angle drive propulsion units with a maximum input of 1,800 hp at 720 rpm. Main propulsion power is provided by two Niigata diesel engines model 6L28BX ( 1,800 hp Two Caterpillar 3306T marine electric set engines close coupled to a Kato brushless T.E.F.C. generator code 4P4-1000 having continuous rating of 125 Kw supply auxiliary power. The engine monitor is an Autronica type KB6.
The vessel is also equipped with: two Espholin air compressors; a Kyoritsu radar; a Coden HF/SSB transceiver; two A.W.A. Pilotphone VII VHF/FM 55-channel transceivers; a Decca model 450M autopilot; a Marconi minicall 10- way talkback public address system; one set of Aqua Signal, series SS, single-tier navigational lights; a Francis P/N 47052073, M19 nonmagnetic 12-inch gray cabin-controlled searchlight; a Kockums air whistle model KT75-440; a Desmi model SA-80-220 fire pump and a Desmi model S 50-32-135 horizontal centrifugal self-priming pump.
A combined anchor windlass and towing winch with below deck storage reel is by Kawasaki.
Measuring 105 feet (32 meters) long, with a molded breadth of 33.6 feet (10.25 meters) and a molded depth of 16.4 feet (5.0 meters), the Blackburn Cove displaces 635 tons. The tug has a running speed of 12 knots and is in service in Sydney Harbor.
Other stories from December 15, 1983 issue
- Upgraded Facilities Dedicated At Newfoundland Dockyard page: 6
- Raytheon Marine Names John Scott Marketing And Sales Manager, Europe page: 7
- Texas Instruments Offers Platinum-Clad Anodes For Corrosion Protection —Literature Available page: 7
- Carrington Delivers The Blackburn Cove page: 8
- Report On Navy Market Available From IMA page: 8
- Los Angeles SNAME Discusses Offshore Problems And Solutions page: 8
- New Data Sheet Analyzing Combustion Efficiency Available From Howe-Baker page: 9
- MacGregor-Navire Cargo Access Equipment Ordered For Blue Star Reefers page: 9
- Jacobs Joins Contromatics In Marketing/Sales Position page: 10
- Malcomson Named Manager Of Manufacturing For Raytheon And Sorensen page: 10
- MSC Awards $200 Million In Contracts For Four More SL-7 Conversions page: 12
- Aqua-Chem Introduces New Plate-Type Evaporator —Literature Available page: 13
- Wesmar Sonar Effective In Shallow-Water Operations —Literature Available page: 13
- Frigate De Wert (FFG-45) Delivered Early By Bath Iron Works page: 14
- Navy Rescue/Salvage Vessel Launched At Peterson Builders page: 15
- Jackup Rig For West Africa Launched At Promet Yard page: 18
- Work Progressing On USS Kalamazoo Overhaul At Hoboken Shipyards page: 18
- The 91st SNAME Annual Meeting A Special Post-Meeting And Exposition Report page: 20
- Navy Extends Contracts With COMSAT General For Use Of MARISAT page: 27
- Kockums Profit Continues With Backlog of Orders Worth SEK 4,700 Million page: 28
- Marpol/Solas Compliance Subject Of 60-Page Book Offered By Intertanko page: 28
- Harland & Wolff To Build And Market Friendship Multi-Purpose Cargo Ship page: 28
- Maritime Protection Unveils New Nitrogen Generator— Literature Available page: 29
- $30-Million Navy Contract On Landing Craft Awarded To Bell Aerospace Textron page: 30
- First Of Sulzer's New RTA Engine Series Powers Mitsubishi-Built Bulker page: 30
- American-Standard Opens New Jersey Repair Plant —Literature Available page: 31
- Gladding-Hearn Delivers Two Launches To Virginia Pilots page: 34
- Newfoundland's Windsor Cites $93 Million In New Projects page: 34
- Nylands Expands Its Diesel Spares Operations —New Catalog Available page: 35
- Newport News Shipbuilding Delivers Attack Submarine Buffalo (SSN-715) page: 36
- AOTOS Award Recipient Mario Biaggi Urges Maritime Unity page: 36
- Crane Packing Offers Brochure On New Metal Bellows Pump Shaft Seal page: 37
- Novel Hagglunds Cranes Retrofitted On Cargo Ship Built In Shanghai page: 37
- IMO Expands Its Line Of Geared Twin-Screw Pumps —Literature Available page: 38
- New Navidyne Option Reports Ship's Position In Response To Telex Call page: 38
- Epton Completes Order For Canada's Largest Marine Fenders page: 39
- Philadelphia Gear Licensed To Manufacture I Hi's Duckpeller page: 39
- Daewoo Delivers Second $80-Million Pacesetter Rig To Santa Fe Drilling page: 40
- WESMAR Presents Stability Computer To 'President Lincoln' —Literature Available page: 40
- McDermott Shipyards To Build Inter-Island Barge For Matson page: 41
- New Tunnel Thruster Model Introduced By Omnithruster page: 50
- Bell Aerospace Awarded Navy Contract For Final Phase Of Minesweeper Hunter Design page: 50