David Watson Appointed General Manager At Bethlehem, Sparrows Point
The promotion of David Watson to general manager of Bethlehem Steel Corporation's shipyard at Sparrows Point, Md., was announced recently by David H.
Klinges, vice president in charge of shipbuilding.
Mr. Watson has been assistant general manager at the yard since 1976, and succeeds George S. Hamilton, who retired after 41 years of service with the company.
The new general manager, a native of Kilbirnie, Ayrshire, Scotland, was employed by several shipbuilders in the U.K. for 11 years. He joined Bethlehem Steel at the Sparrows Point yard in 1965 as an engineer in the shipbuilding department's central technical division.
Two years later he was appointed chief industrial engineer for the shipyard. In that post, he was a key figure in the expansion that occurred at the yard during the late 1960s and early 1970s. The projects included the shipbuilding basin, panel shop, and blast and paint shop.
In 1971, Mr. Watson became assistant hull superintendent, hull superintendent in 1973, and general superintendent in 1974.
Two years later he was promoted to assistant general manager.
Other stories from January 4, 1982 issue
- Van der Mark Changes Name To Diesel Marine page: 5
- Halter To Build Two Tug/Supply Vessels For Petromar Offshore page: 5
- ASNE-Delaware Valley Tours Computer-Aided Design Facility at Lehigh page: 6
- Navidyne Names Jones Marketing Vice President page: 6
- Elect Stanley Kowleski New President Of IMTA page: 6
- British Shipbuilders Introduces New Semisub Drilling Rig page: 9
- Plant, Munroe Establish Naval Architectural And Marine Consulting Firm page: 9
- China To Build Nine Supply Vessels For Singapore Owners page: 10
- John T. Gilbride Jr. Named "Man Of The Year" By Puget Sound Port Engineers page: 10
- Hydranautics Receives BOP Skidding Contract For Sedco 600, 601, 602 page: 10
- Tax Act Creates 'New Subsidy7 For Railroads page: 15
- Edward Peterson Named Vice President Of Sales At Dravo Mechling page: 16
- David Watson Appointed General Manager At Bethlehem, Sparrows Point page: 16
- ARAMCO Awards $125-Million Order For Four Self-Elevating Platforms page: 17
- Name Bruce Ball Ameroid Marine Product Manager page: 18
- New Solid-State Welding Control From Duraline —Literature Available page: 18
- Waterman Steamship Appoints George Hearn As Senior Vice President page: 18
- Halter And Zapata Sign Contract For Four Tug Supply Boats page: 19
- Bulk Carrier Launched At Italcantieri Yard page: 19
- $49-Million Gas Turbine Subcontract Awarded To AVCO Lycoming Stratford page: 26
- SNAME New England Section Hears Waste Heat Recovery Paper page: 26
- St. Louis Ship Opens New Propeller Shop page: 27
- Beth Steel's Hoboken Yard Converting Carrier Intrepid To Naval Museum page: 32
- Burton Delivers 224-Foot Seiner, Third Of Seven For Van Camp page: 32
- OTC-'82 SPECIAL PREVIEW page: 52
- New England Coal Trade Discussed At SNAME New England Section page: 85
- LTV Names W.J. Amoss Group Vice President page: 88
- Peterson Builders Awarded $70-Million Contract For Two ARS-50 Vessels page: 88
- Name Capt. Patterson To Kings Point Post page: 88
- Appoint Schwartz Manager At Raytheon's VTS And Harbor Radar Group page: 89
- Petrocon Starts Global Marine Fuel Oil Analysis Service — Offer Brochure page: 89
- LOOP Fits Three Vessels With Oil Spill Recovery Units By Offshore Devices page: 96
- McDermott Board Elects Ellis Vice President Of Government Operations page: 96
- Nautilus Offers New Crane And Equipment Brochure page: 96
- Panama Sponsors Maritime Symposium Sept. 20-22 page: 97
- Campbell Industries Christens 221-Foot Tuna Seiner For InterOcean page: 98
- SMM '82 Marine Exhibit And Conference Set For Sept. 28-Oct. 2 In Hamburg page: 99
- APL Dedicates New Seattle Terminal page: 99
- Raytheon Marine Appoints Hayden To Florida Post page: 100
- Curacao Yard Completes Repairs To Offshore Rig page: 100
- Pennsylvania Shipbuilding Names Principal Officers page: 100
- Halter Delivers Two New Crewboats To Command Marine, Inc. page: 101
- $7.8-Million Hose System Order To Uniroyal —Literature Available page: 105
- Seaworthy Engine Systems Names Wilson To VP Post page: 105
- Tidewater Equipment Delivers 340-Foot Covered Hopper Barge 'Loveland 340V page: 112
- Halter Delivers Raised Pilothouse Tug To Bouchard Transportation page: 116
- NASSCO Hosts Workshop On Computerized Cost Estimating For Shipbuilding page: 118